Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Grinch May Have Stolen Christmas, But He Loves Pumpkin Lattes!!

There’s a romance element to Starbucks. Some people sense this when they walk into the door, whereas some people walk right through the lovely fog, never even realizing that they have been misted with the romance of the bean. (If not the element of romance, then at least know that if enough time is spent in the store, the coffee bean smell will stay in one’s hair, clothes, fingernails, nostrils, even shoelaces if Febreeze is not brought into the matter immediately upon arriving home…Let me tell say this- after having worked there for a couple months, I can vouch for the fact that the coffee bean smell is something to be reckoned with. I know why they were sleepless in Seattle…being THAT close to the birthplace of Starbucks can’t be good for much except insomnia…)

The romance of Starbucks is something that HAPPENS to us. And sometimes it is hard to “feel” it…the romance gets forced when there are distractions…

Maybe life is just too “real” for me right now. It’s hard to let my imagination run rampant with the idea of romance when I am thinking about school, schedule correspondence, new fall merchandise, bills, etc… I lose myself in the every day and I am forgetting about the every minute in every day. Not wasting a minute! Not wasting a moment of life to the mundane. Not forgetting that God gave me RIGHT NOW just like He gave me duties which to accomplish. But, inevitably the RIGHT NOW is a gift. I can sip my coffee and let the bean soak into my nose hairs and warp my sense of smell to the extent that if I don’t smell coffee, I don’t smell. Kind of like a near-sighted person. I need “glasses” but for my nose…like, nostrils, or something…where everything I smell goes through a little coffee filter that is holding grounds of beans. Okay, I have wasted way too much brain activity thinking about that and I should be embarrassed. (But it is a good idea- inventions.com- call me!)

Anyway, more about the romance…and about aside from invention ideas…I do have the desire to fill my time with passion and love and creativity! I am bursting with longing for noise and stillness at the same time- that unattainable, unchartered territory of the “in-between” (a creative and spiritual balance…and I’m not talking about any weird new age hooey)…

How do we hold on to those moments that stop us in our “life” tracks? A perfect conversation with a guy we like…lots of laughter, some teasing…30 minutes with our family, just being together…chillaxin, safe and healthy and happy. Maybe that in-between moment that tries so hard to slip between our fingers is a break, a holiday from the madness. Like me- putting up the Pumpkin Spice and Toffee Nut signs, all the fall decorations…knowing, that with the colors of red, yellow, orange, and brown and the pictures of falling leaves will come a time of reflection, Thanksgiving, and my birthday in October. Haha. I’m kidding. But, on a side note, we do have all the new drinks coming out this next week, so go in and try a Salted Caramel Mocha or Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate…or if caramel isn’t your favorite, try a Toffee Mocha Latte or Pumpkin Spice Latte. All for those who like to drink the Thanksgiving colors in a cup. These new drinks are absolutely delectable…and one of each will suffice for me for the whole season. I have had my fill of Pumpkin today, now comes the Pepto!

What comes with the romance of fall…aside from pepto? The courting of Christmas, the cool air that draws us outside, breathing a little deeper and walking a little taller. Sports, family get-togethers, holidays! Christmas is just around the corner…and I know it frustrates my dad to no end when I start celebrating early, I think it’s important to remember that Jesus’ may have been born in December, but He’s Alive EVERY day in our hearts!! Amen and light up the Tree!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm putting mine up next week...just kidding! You have got me ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete