Sunday, July 11, 2010

Vous voulez un café?




Let’s see…I feel overwhelmed today. It was the busiest day I have ever worked at the store. We had several “rushes” of traffic, one particular rush lasted the last three hours I was at work. I, literally, feel like the rest of the world was standing still and we were moving 90 to nothing in that store. Sometimes I get that sensation, like, I’m surprised when I find out the rest of the world has stuff going on, things that MATTER besides our coffee cadence. I mean, in my opinion- “it’s Sunday morning, if you’re not in church, then what else do you have going on that so IMPORTANT in your life?” Seriously…if you can answer that question with something that is more important than God, then I’d like to hear from you.

Anyway, so, today since I’m still doing shift manager training, instead of being at church, I was at “work,” I was serving coffee, which although some people DO idolize the drink, it’s not really in the category of worship of the Almighty King of Kings. Haha. I kind of would like to see THAT conversation in Heaven, “So, yeah, LORD, I was brewing up premier Pike Place blend and making Frappuccinos for the coffee-starved patrons of Starbucks…I’m what you might want to call St.Mocha…that’s why I wasn’t in church.” And I’m sure God would gracefully nod his head and say, “Oh, little St.Mocha, I know your heart better than you do…” Whew! That’s always good to know!

I drove home to Burkburnett this afternoon in silent revelry, and as today was such a bustling, busy day, I had a ton of stories to tell my mom and dad. I can’t believe the traffic we had on a Sunday, especially when the day started so slow. One of the best stories actually happened in the first wee hours of the morning, around 6:30 am before we really got busy. A guy came in wearing a Dublin shirt…and we started talking about Ireland. There was only one other person in the store that had already been served, so this guy stayed up at the bar and began to tell stories about being in Dublin…he talked about how important the Guinness family was to the commerce in that area. He said the museum in the middle of the city in honor of Guinness was amazing. He said it had the history of the Guinness book of world records, and more importantly, the brewery for the beer. He said there was a 360 degree bar at the top of the museum that overlooked the city where everyone could drink original Guinness from the motherload… I didn’t make up that phrase “from the motherload…” The guy actually said that phrase…I remember specifically because it made me laugh and I told him he reminded me of someone….and it rhymes with “malcoholic.” Haha! He laughed, and wasn’t mad. I said it would be like me visiting Seattle and drinking a latte at the original Starbucks. We get some of those crazies, too, who have to-go cups they use and will only drink their coffee from these cups because they came from the “original” store… I kid you not.

As we were talking about how other countries, like France or Switzerland or the Czech Republic (three that I have visited, as well) enjoyed their drinks, be they biers or cafes, I realized that I have had a lot of exposure to a lot of different places in the world. I am very fortunate to have seen life being lived across the pond, so to say. It makes a place like Starbucks seem luxurious and indulgent in a fantastic way, in a way to be relished slowly like dark chocolate or jelly beans...enjoying little luxuries slowly like the people do overseas. A place where we can delight in genuine and profound fellowship…just like Sunday worship!

I'm attaching two pictures…in the first one, the barista had trouble getting the “bunny ears,” so she apparently snapped another of these so called bunny ears…the jury is still out on whether those can be constituted as bunny ears or not. I’m going to say, probably not. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment